Thursday, August 28, 2008

Greetings from Beantown

Well... who said I wasn't going to get much exercise here? E and I are staying in one of the conference overflow hotels, and when I booked this for us, I assumed it was a 10 minute walk to the convention center. Uh, haha!! That's a joke. It's easily a 30 minute walk up there, and I think they estimate it to be about a mile and a half. That means, because I got lost yesterday while walking up there (I have no concept of direction) I probably walked about 6 miles. Then, E and I woke up early today to go for our C25K runs in Boston Common. Can I say OW? I wasn't wearing the right shoes for my six mile walk yesterday (ballet flats not really supportive much) and so my calves are extremely sore. But it was worth it.

After our runs, we went to Dunkin Donuts. I have two raves to share with you. First, E had one of their new flatbread egg white sandwich. She said it was really great, with a subtle flavor of turkey sausage (not very chunky) all for less than 300 calories! I've fallen in love with DD's Toasted Almond iced coffee. I get it with one packet of Equal and no cream. No calories! Gotta love it! So, while we behaved this morning, we did have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I ordered some sort of pasta with eggplant, artichoke hearts, broccoli, kalamata olives and all sorts of goodies in there. Um... when it finally came out, it was HUGE. Seriously, I barely put a dent in it when I asked the waiter to take it away. E observed that I probably had a whole box of pasta placed in front of me. Seriously! I've always said that I would rather pay a bit more for a more reasonable portion, but restaurants seem to be concerned that we're getting more bang for our buck. Hmm. I wonder if they feel bad throwing out all my pasta that I didn't eat and that I couldn't take with me back to my fridge-less hotel.

6 comments:

...to Lose 55 Pounds said...

Hi Hi Hi! Glad to see you haven't forgotten about us while on your pseudo vacation! ; ) lol....

Six miles in flats...ouch! Good for you on still doing the C25K while you're away. That's awesome!

Enjoy the rest of the conference!

Chrissie said...

Sounds like you are doing really well while at your conference.

FluffyDonna said...

Wow, way to stay committed while you're away! The old me would say, screw walking, I'm taking a taxi or something. But it's so much better to walk anyway! The scenery in Boston must be pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Don't you LOVE Boston?! It is one of my favorite cities. So easy to get exercise while you are there. If you have time to take a walk/run along the Charles River, you won't be disappointed. It isn't far from Boston Common :)

Lauren

Anonymous said...

I missed this as Id assumed you wouldnt blog!

impressed how youre keeping the fitness up on the road---no easy feet (rimshot! kind of? no??)

:)

Miz.

RooBabs said...

Okay, I'm behind the times. Great job on getting in your exercise. I loooove the Cheesecake Factory, and it's true- their portions are ridiculously huge. Three people could probably share one entree and still have leftovers. Even their cheesecake is giant (it better be for $8.00 a slice!).