Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Wow guys! Thanks for all the supportive and positive comments that you've left for me. I have to say that you guys are and always have been a motivational bunch, between what you leave for me here as well as reading your own blogs and emails you send me. Thanks for the good vibes!

So... October 19th. Nine weeks away. The day that I plan on running my first 5K. I've been running on and off since April, and I figure that running towards something is good idea. This afternoon, while I was at a coffee shop with a friend, I got a phone call so I walked away from the table not to disturb him and stood at the front of the store, where there was a poster about 5 and 10Ks in my area! Just the information that I've been looking for!!! This should definitely help me get out of bed and to the gym tomorrow.

Okay, there is one other thing that's been motivating me to get to the gym. Dates. Dating. Yeah, that whole shabang. For some reason, since I've come back from Mom's and gained these 5ish pounds, my self-image has declined ridiculously. I feel fat. Why I was more self-confident 45 pounds ago is beyond me, but this little voice keeps visiting me saying, who's going to want to date some girl who's size 14s are fitting a little tight? I'm playing the online dating game again, not that I had a superb experience the first time around with it. May's guy was such a bust... one of those "I should have dumped him long before he stopped calling me" situations. August brings two guys around, but it's still in the early stages. No real dates yet, but a bunch of back and forth on the website. I'm a big believer in the necessary "click". I don't care how great you sound on paper, but if there is no "click" when we meet, then let's not waste our time. Here's hoping for some clicks this time around!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your encouraging comments!

It is so true....I can't put such a strong focus on the numbers on the scale. I know better but I still fall back into that dangerous mindset sometimes.

Best wishes on your running. I need to get a new pair of shoes too. I just spent $150 on a pair and they hurt my feet terribly. I hate to buy another pair - but a girls gotta have comfortable shoes to exercise in.

K @ Running Through Life said...

Yay for the 5K! You can do it! And good luck with the dating game.

ptg said...

You can definitely do a 5K. You are going to feel SO awesome when you complete it! As for the challenge - that's the exact same reason I signed up for the 10K. To be challenged and to prove to the anonymous "someone" that I can do it. (I think it's me, really, but the "someone" is the voice in my head...) Anyway - great job!

And I hear some clicking right around the corner... ;o)

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments with your running and your weight.

Good luck as you get ready for your 5k. Hope you enjoy the excitement and the world of running races.