Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oh what a night!

So, yesterday, I had a bit of an issue. First off, all my summer clothes are ridiculously big. RIDICULOUSLY. It's one thing to get away with wearing huge clothes in the winter, but in the summer, it is so noticable. Yesterday, I had planned a day of grading at a coffeeshop downtown before I headed into the office for my office hours. Okay. Got to school, parked my car, stopped in my office for some papers to grade and walked downtown. Got a skinny iced latte and proceeded to drip it all over the front of my light blue button down shirt. I blame the barista for that, because he shook the stupid latte instead of stirring it, which made all this liquid build up in the lid. So... I had to change, because even when the coffee dried, it would still be noticable on my shirt. I walked back to my car, drove home (I live about a mile from campus), and this is where the real problem began. All my tops were WAY too big. Falling off my shoulder, exposing my bra kind of big. And, when you're a professor with male students that is a BIG PROBLEM.

I convinced E to go to the mall with me for some emergency shopping. I really don't know what size I fit into, because it's been so long since I've bought clothes. I bought a pink top (size large) and a black sweater (petite XL) that were on a sale at a department store. But...then we went to the GAP. You have to understand my love hate relationship with the Gap. I used to work there in high school. I used to fit in their clothes. I used to LOVE their clothes so much that I used to spend about 95% of my paycheck there. But when I went to college and gained weight, I stopped buying from the Gap because 1) I couldn't afford to anymore on my work-study wages and 2) I grew past a size 16, which is all they carry in their stores. Since I knew that I fit into a size Large top, I was worried that it wouldn't be the same in the Gap, that I would bounce back to the XL range. It didn't happen. And even better, I fit into size 14 pants. Seriously, I haven't fit into a size 14 since 1998. HONESTLY. It's been 10 years since I've been this small. I ended up not buying the pants, mainly because at the Gap their pants are cut pretty straight, and since I have curves, they weren't jiving, but still! A size 14!! Amazing. I'm still going to wear my reconstructed Plus Size 20s for now, but it makes me happy just to think of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina!!! I'm so happy for you. That is amazing. I imagine this was such a big deal for you, even bigger than people who don't have to shop in plus size stores realize. It's heartbreaking when you can't fit into clothes at regular stores anymore. I can't wait until I can shop at Ann Taylor and the Gap, without ordering XXL from the gap online.

One of my main goals is to be able to shop at a regular store, and not wear plus size. Congrats for meeting that goal! I'm so proud of you. I would have bawled like a baby I would be so happy.

Erin said...

I totally agree with what Laura said! I can't wait to be able to fit into regular sized clothing. You are doing such an amazing job with your journey! Simply amazing!!!!

Jen said...

You Look beautiful!!!

I agree with the GAP pants. I'm still mad at them that they discontinued my favorite cut! Keep it up!