Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Exactly HOW MANY is 10K Steps?

My friend E gave me a pedometer for Christmas, as an incentive to get the both of us moving. She also got a matching one for herself. Today, April 16, is the first day that I decided to wear it for a whole day, and by 4PM, I was ready to throw it out the window. I don't think I'm a sedentary person. I'm pretty active. I have a pretty long walk from my parking lot to my building on campus. I walk around and gossip with my coworkers. By 4PM, I only 1500 steps. Yeah, where was that other 8500 going to come from??? E and I decided to go for a walk down on the Rail Trail, since it was gorgeous out, and we might as well put my pedometer to the test. After walking for about an hour and fifteen minutes, I took 10,494 steps AND had walked about 4.5 miles. And, that, my friends, is what it takes to hit 10K steps a day.*

*I also found out that the 10K steps is a guideline. If you are getting in 30 minutes of exercise daily, you are "getting your 10K steps", translated, you are doing what you need to do to keep your heart healthy. So, don't stress over the pedometer's number if you are exercising regularly.

No comments: