Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cooking Up A Storm

Another great piece of advice to be successful in weight loss is to get cooking. As I've alluded to below, I NEVER used to cook at home. NEVER. I was always too busy, with classes, with writing my dissertation, and now, working towards tenure. I used to go out to eat all the time. It's funny because, to me, eating out is supposed to be a treat. But when you eat out all the time, it isn't. You actually get sick of having to choose which restaurant in town you're going to... again. I did this for close to six years before I decided to break the cycle.

In moving into my own place, I was hesitant to cook for myself. First off, I'd obviously have to cut back on recipes in order to make just enough for myself. Second, I bought a lot of veggie burgers/chix patties/etc..... and we know how I feel about those now!! Third, I didn't think I'd have the time to make dinner for myself since I had rededicated myself to my career. Anyway, don't all busy single career girls eat Chinese take out all the time a la Miranda in Sex and the City? The answer to that is NO.

There are quick and simple meals that you can make for yourself and enjoy the leftovers the night after. Many tasty meals that you can make can be done in less than 30 minutes. In fact, I made my dinner last night, popped it in the oven, and did an exercise video while it cooked! Some of the easiest meals I've made since eating healthy is stir fry. Stir fry chicken, stir fry shrimp... I sound like a version of Bubba from Forrest Gump! But it's easy and simple: heat up a tablespoon of olive oil; throw your meat in (if you're cooking shrimp, I usually save that for last) and cook until it's almost done; throw some veggies in (my favorites are broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms); shake in some soy sauce when everything's almost done, and VOILA!!! You have a 4 point stirfry. AWESOME. Other quick and simple meals I make are TBLTs (made with turkey bacon cooked in the microwave on a whole wheat bun... three points!); veggie omlettes with egg beaters (2 points with just the egg beaters, 4 points if you add some low fat cheese in); low-point soup (2 points) and a turkey sandwich on light bread (another 2 points).

There is seriously no reason for you to think that "cooking" involves being the Barefoot Contessa every night. Quite honestly, my everyday cooking style leans more towards Rachael Ray: quick and easy, done in 30 minutes. While I may expose my Barefoot Contessa when I have guests, it's okay to cook in a wham bam thank you ma'am style after a long day at the office. And that way, you have no excuse to go to Chili's again for the second time in 10 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a <30 minute meal:

Tortellini Florentine

1 package Barilla Ricotta & Spinach Tortelloni (5g fiber per serving)

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes

2+ cups chicken broth

1 package frozen spinach

Seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chili flakes

Topping: Shredded Parm

Combine spinach, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 12minutes.

Makes 4 large servings!
Points per serving – 4.5

~Erin