Saturday, February 16, 2008

Week Five: Slow and Steady

This week, I lost 1.2 pounds. I'm very proud of myself, as I did not stick to the plan over the past few days. There were cookies here and there at luncheons and meetings, lots of diet soda, and maybe a bit too much wine (although, it was Valentine's Day, I was by myself, and I deserved a little something to myself). But I pushed through it, exercising every day, and here I am 1.2 pounds less :)

I got a lot of emails about my last post, that maybe I was being too hard on myself. After all, I've lost 28.8 pounds since the end of September. I'm more than a quarter of the way to my goal weight. I think it's just frustrating that when you are at the weight that I am at, when you have to lose about 100 pounds, that goal just seems like a heck of a ways off. That's why I adjusted my weight loss ticker at the top of the page. I decide that even though my long term goal of 100 pounds seems almost undoable at times (and I admit that is the reason why it has taken me so long to become committed to diet and exercise), I need to visualize it in attainable goals. So, I'm breaking it down into quarters. I've already lost 25 pounds; my next short term goal is to lose another 25 on top of that. Therefore, my ticker is set at 50 pounds, with 28.8 of them already gone. At the rate I'm going, that will bring me to the beginning of the summer. I shouldn't get upset over how I'm not losing as fast as some other people, how I have so much weight to lose, etc. What I should be POSITIVE about is the fact that I'm making progress towards those goals. I just need to remind myself that slow and steady does indeed win the race!

No comments: