Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Talk about inspiration!!!
No, dear readers, that is not me!! I read this article on cnn.com about this 30 year old elementary school teacher who lost 120 pounds! Doesn't she look amazing? It took her about three years to lose the weight, but I think we sometimes have to be reminded that we didn't put all this weight on in ten days, and it's not going to come off in a short amount of time either.
First off, I'm glad that CNN has taken to profiling its readers who have lost a significant amount of weight. I think it shows people like me that it CAN be done. My favorite part about Shape magazine is where they profile readers who took matters into their own hands and changed their lives. Second, what I really liked about this article is that Tracey (the teacher) gave some good tips about getting started on dieting that I want to share with you:
1. Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat and drink. Calculate total calories at the end of the day. Be consistent in your diet.
2. Be consistent in your exercise. Create a set gym/workout schedule. Vary only when absolutely necessary.
3. Find a gym that accommodates your lifestyle (hours of operation, day care options, equipment, classes offered, etc.).
4. Change your outlook on food. Instead of equating food with happiness or enjoyment, view it as purely as nourishment or fuel for your body to function.
5. Be realistic in your goals and program. Know that it will take time to make considerable change, and don't give up!
6. Stop making excuses and make it happen! Make YOUR health a PRIORITY in your life.
What an inspiration. If you want to read more about Tracey, here's the link to the article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/14/weightloss.tracey.wygal/index.html