Monday, February 25, 2008

I like to move it, move it!

So, my WW theme continues with the top ten weight loss secrets. Yesterday, we talked about keeping a positive outlook on weight loss as well as making over our kitchen to be a healthy zone. Today's theme is about exercise.

I think everyone knows that, to lose weight, there has to be more calories burned than the amount of calories coming in. Makes sense, right? The more you exercise, the more you lose... simple, right? Not always. For some of us who haven't moved in a while, it's hard to get back on track with exercising. I'm on a tight budget myself, so a gym membership just isn't an option right now. So, it's me and my exercise tapes. What's funny is that I've really built up a collection over the years, but in moving three times over the past two years... I had kind of given up on losing weight or ever working out. I had gotten into this frame of mind that I was "too busy" taking classes, then writing my dissertation, and finally chasing tenure than I didn't have time to work out. I ended up giving away most of my exercise DVDs to the Goodwill, and the rest were sold on Ebay (another epiphanic moment where I could kick myself in the butt!!).

So, I started rebuilding. I bought Biggest Loser Volume 1, which has served as the corner stone for my workouts since I get both cardio and strength exercises out of it. I also bought the Jillian Michaels super-tough Cardio Kickboxing, which I do once a week to change things up. I also do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds on the weekends when I can't get outside to go walking. You need to do exercises that make you happy. I love kickboxing (I have a bit of pent up aggression...) and walking with my friends, since it allows us to chat while exercising. You need to do something that makes YOU happy, because then you'll keep doing it.

No comments: