Monday, March 3, 2008

Drool... new grocery store

Okay, tell me I'm not the only dork who loves going to new stores. This weekend, I got to go to the new Kroger not only once, but twice! The first time I went was to just be nosy, and get a bottle of wine with my $5 gift card that I got for turning in a survey. The second time was yesterday. I was blown away by the health foods/organic section! It was a WW girl's dream. My big complaint was that everything that I wanted was sold out. For instance, Kashi Heart to Heart was 2 for $6 (I know!) and it wasn't on the shelf at all.

I did make quite a few Amy's Kitchen purchases. I've tried some Amy's things before (namely their enchiladas) and I wasn't a fan. However, I've been REALLY hungry for vegetable lasagna. I didn't want to make a big one just for me, and honestly, I've never made veggie lasagna before. My family's lasagna tends to lean towards lots and lots of cheese and meat. And so, I bought Amy's Garden Vegetable Lasagna, and in a gesture of goodwill, I also purchased a Bean and Rice burrito. Okay, actually I bought it because I've been driving past Qdoba, looking at it longingly, thinking of sour cream and cheese filled burritos.

Amy's isn't the lowest in points. In fact, the Garden Veggie Lasagna was six points, but for dinner, I was willing to splurge a bit. I had originally planned on making parmesan pork loin, but after reading a bunch of boring articles for my conference paper, I was not in the mood to chop some onions. I popped the Lasagna in the microwave, and in a matter of seven minutes, I was eating. The noodles were made with rice rather than the usual flour and water, but you couldn't notice the difference (says the girl who used to adore her Nonna's homemade pasta). There was enough ricotta to make me happy, and the veggies-- carrots, zucchini and spinach-- were there in the perfect amount. This is definitely a meal that I'll be reaching for again during those crunch times where I don't have time to make dinner. Pairing this with a salad was the perfect on the go meal.

I was also excited that I found Vitamuffins. I thought these were the things of WW legend, like Western Alternative bagels: super low points food that taste good and are good for you. Not only did I find Vitamuffins in the organic/healthy freezer section BUT they were chocolate chocolate chip. Drool. I haven't tried them yet, but at one point a piece they are definitely on my list for a snack tonight while I watch my Prince William on 20/20 :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found you can actually make Qdoba pretty healthy. Here's what I like there: Naked chicken burrito with no rice. Add lettuce, pico de gallo, and salsa of your choice (I like hot). Skip the cheese and sour cream. If I remember correctly it's around 400 calories--no idea how many WW points, though. Qdoba has an awesome nutrition calculator on their website that lets you totally customize your order and then gives you the facts. HTH!

Anonymous said...

You are not the only dork. I spend way more time (and money) in grocery stores than is necessary! I love reading your blog, keep it up :)

Lauren