Saturday, May 3, 2008

Thoughts from a New Gym Rat

I've gone to the gym everyday since I've joined. Okay, that makes it the past three days, but still. I joined my last gym because a friend of mine wanted to do yoga and pilates, and I said, eh, sure, but quit going about four months after that. So, three days in a row is huge, but we also know that I've been working out for the past six months (!!) steadily, so maybe not that huge of a deal. This morning, my body woke me up at 7:30, which is my usual rise and shine. I had breakfast, updated my blog, went to run some errands, and then got to the gym at 9:40. My class didn't start until 10, so I did some eliptical for 12 minutes (that's how long it took for me to get to a mile, so that's where I stopped). I figured that was a good warm up for my Bosu sculpt class. Confession: I've never been on a Bosu trainer. My friend E has one at her apartment, but I've just seen it, not asked to stand on it. Same thing when I go to Dick's-- I eye it warily, and walk in the other direction. So, I grew a pair today, and decided to try it out. Well, holy moley... that thing is TOUGH. I got cramps in my foot from trying to consciously grip my feet (um, my shoes were on, duh), so I kept having to jump off of it until my feet got back to normal and I was able to get back on there without the subconscious foot scrunching. We did lunges, squats, and leg lifts using the Bosu, and then, we did weights while standing on top of it. I don't think I've ever been so sweaty before. But you know what? It was a GREAT workout. That teacher (who was a guy! never had a guy instructor before) is definitely on my list of people whose classes I like. And it was a great start to my day. I went to vote early in my state's primary (since I will be out of town for the actual primary day) and also noticed there was a farmers' market downtown. Now, I've heard about the farmers' market before, but I've never been to it. And right now, there isn't much to look at because it's the beginning of the season, but at the same time... awesome! I know where it is, I know when it is... there is no reason I shouldn't be buying local this summer. Now... what to do at the gym tomorrow? :)

4 comments:

Brittany said...

That is awesome about the Bosu! I don't even think they have them in our Dicks around here, let alone classes about them. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. LOL! I was going to order mine from Dicks online. I can't wait to get mine to get in an awesome workout! ;)

Hazel said...

I think in one of my PE classes for school we had to use the Bosu. It is tough! I bet you're going to feel awesome (and maybe hurt a bit) tomorrow!

Manuela said...

Saw your post on the challenge. I've never done the Bosu but would like to try.

I just finished week 6 of C25K which ended with a 25 minute run. I NEVER thought I would do it but the program works you up to it. Just stick with it.

I'm from Windsor, btw, just across the river. Congrats on the PHD! I'd love to hear more about that--stop by my blog and let me know where you're at :)

Erin said...

Sounds like your doing great on the Bosu! I have a friend who has had a ton of weight loss success using hers. btw, I love my farmers market, everything tastes so much better. have a good day at the gym!