Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pilates Punishment

I don't think I've told you all, but I've started doing Pilates twice a week. It's a lot more difficult than I remember it to be. When I lived in Tallahassee, I used to go to a women's only gym with a friend's girlfriend. She was into going to yoga and pilates classes, while I was trying to peel off the pounds by hitting the cardio machines. However, I did go to yoga and pilates with her. Pilates was difficult, but I remember being able to do planks, side planks and all sorts of different things.



Granted, that was about 5 years ago. And (while I know I'm not 105 years old) there is a difference between being in your early 20s and now in my (sniff sniff) late twenties. So, when I went to Pilates for the first time a few weeks ago, I didn't think it was so bad. We did a lot of core work, and it was fine. When I went back for Friday's class, our instructor told us to get foam rollers and some gadget that was an exercise band with wrist and ankle attachments. To me, it looked like something completely from the Inquisition. Was I going to be put on the rack? And then bound and quartered?



My main nemesis is the side plank. I get along fine with the front plank. No problem at all. But get over onto that side, and I'm all sorts of wobbly and uncoordinated. I feel like my instructor looks at me like, honey, you're a big girl, you can't do it all at once. (I believe her exact words to me when I asked her for help with the side plank after class was "you're new. you can't expect to run a marathon tomorrow if you've never run before in your life.") I want to scream "I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life!!! Yes I'm still a big girl, but I *should* be able to do this!!" I guess that's why Pilates frustrates me so much. I hang in the back with the "Plus-25 crowd" which ranges from those of us in our late 20s and early 30s to some women who are easily in their 50s and 60s, while the front of the classroom is filled with 18-22 year olds that weigh all of 95 pounds. They can bend and stretch and balance with no problems. Drives me crazy.



But it just makes me want to get stronger and practice that side plank every friggin day!

3 comments:

RooBabs said...

I think Pilates sounds great (well, tough, but definitely a good workout). I've only ever done a few basic moves from videos, and starting out is hard, for sure.

But I'm sure in no time you'll be kicking butt, and proving that instructor wrong. You show her, Kiki! You can do it!! = )

Kristina said...

If it makes you feel better, my bff literally weighs 110 at her fatest in life and she HATES yoga. If she were there, you would feel a lot better... it's not even that she's out of shape... she says it's just ridiculous the things they expect you to do. Hang in there chicadee, you'll be side plankin' it with the best of them in NO time. =D

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm with you, side planks are HARD!
I couldn't do them at all at first, and now I'm a bit better.

Hmmm, I think the side plank shall be my February challenge!