Sunday, January 13, 2008

I just wanna start again....

This is my first blog post... well, not ever, but at least on this blog :) In the past six months, I've decided to make some major changes in order to lead a happier life. One of these changes was moving back to Motown on my own. I thought that being part of a duo was something that I was destined for. I couldn't imagine my life without X being a part of it, since that's what I had gotten used to over the past six years. Surprisingly enough, living on my own is fabulous. I've had a great semester just being me and making new friends.

Another change that I'm making in my life is losing weight. At first, my weight loss began when I decided to move back to Motown, and really didn't have much of an appetite after making such a huge change. However, once I started eating again, I decided that there was no reason for me to continue being a 27 year old woman, who at 5'1 was obese. I hate that word, obese... it has all sorts of nasty connotations. But at the same time, I want to change for me. I want to learn how to cook healthy for myself, I want to learn how to enjoy exercise, and I want to be able to live a life without worrying about the sicknesses that come with obesity. I've been lucky so far in that I have not dealt with any of these sicknesses, but our bodies can only take so much. It is only a matter of time before it catches up with me.

So far, I've lost 22 pounds. I have to admit that I had lost more weight previous to the holidays, but my Italian family makes food too well for me not to indulge at home! All the nut tussies and amaretto cookies that my mom made has finally caught up with me. I was on Weight Watchers in 2004, and I lost 20 pounds on that before I gave up. This year, I've decided to try WW on my own. My budget is a bit tight, so I can't indulge in weekly meetings. However, I've started keeping a food journal, similar to what I used in WW. That will help keep track of my eating habits and what I need to change to move on to lose more weight.

I plan on doing weekly weigh-ins, as it is very easy for me to become obsessed with numbers. I don't want to become one of those women who weighs herself every morning and freaks out over a .4 lb gain. So, I've hidden my scale in my closet, only to be taken out on Saturday mornings.

In this blog, I plan on sharing my thoughts on exercise, losing weight, healthy recipes I've tried out, and, of course, commentary on The Biggest Loser, which has quickly become one of my favorite reality shows. And I look forward to sharing this journey with you!!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

You can do this . . . I managed to lose 30 pounds last year without paying anyone to get me there. It helps to have people around you trying to lose too. You're on the right path. We'll do it together. I put quite a few back on myself through comp exams. I'm one that eats constantly when I'm upset and nervous and usually all the wrong things including a Coke Cola a day during the last two weeks of the comp process.